Friday, December 04, 2009

Assignment 4

As the semester is drawing to a close we need to have at least one more writing assignment. The syllabus calls for 30% of your grade to be allocated to these assignments. The plan was to have several assignments of varying point value, summing to 30 percentage points. At this point that would leave 12 points needed to complete the assignment.

I am adjusting this by giving out just one more assignment scored out of 6 points. Then the sum total of points (up to 24) will be weighted 30 percent.

I have offered up two different assignments for you. You can take your pick of assignments. The documents were handed out in class and are also available on the I-drive. You may do your choice of 4a or 4b. (No extra points for doing both.) I'm offering a choice since it is late in the semester and I feel a little bad about giving an assignment with just over a week left.

In addition, the alternative listed as Econ 345 Assignment 4a offers an opportunity for some extra credit or bonus points. This is offered as a "make up" for my missing class on Monday, November 30. So the only way to get the bonus points is to do Assignment 4a and the "bonus point" supplement.

The due date for the assignment is Monday, December 14. You have an automatic extension until Friday, December 18. I think the due date of December 14 is very reasonable. Also, I would think it would be best for this assignment to be off your desk before exams. I don't mind giving you more time but you can't come back and say that I'm giving you an assignment while you're trying to study for exams. Hence the due date. But I am flexible enough that I can accept your assignment at the end of the week. But don't blame me if you're writing a paper and studying for your final at the same time. The time allocation issue is yours.

Assignment 3 will definitely be returned to you on Monday, December 7. Even if I haven't finished grading them I will give full credit to those who turned it in if I have to. (This gives me incentive to actually grade them--sorry.) Once I have those scores entered, I will be able to provide you with information on your standing in the course.

You will also get back your alternate assignment from earlier in the semester. Remember, those points will not be added until after the semester grade scale is determined so as to not penalize anyone who chooses not to do any of the bonus credit assignments.


Just so you know, I do not like talking about grades over email or AIM since grades and scores need to be discussed in context. So if you wish to get information on your standing in the class, please make an office visit.

On a more personal note: I'm sorry if my slowness in returning assignments has created any inconvenience for you. I'm also sorry if you think this last assignment comes too late (I think you have plenty of time to work on it and you should not be surprised that an assignment would be forthcoming anyway). You're probably well aware that I have a health issue for which I'm needing to switch up a treatment plan. Unfortunately there have been spillover costs onto my classes. I'm aiming to be as fair as possible and wrap up my classes in an appropriately scholarly manner. I think I am achieving this with this last assignment.

Good luck. If you have any questions you may contact me at jjulian@iup.edu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home